Tuesday, May 22, 2007

FDA Pet Food Recall Update!

The FDA continues its investigation to ensure that all of the contaminated wheat gluten has been identified and contained. While the FDA further investigates how melamine was introduced into a historically safe and good food ingredient, it is suspected that the melamine contamination may have been caused by tampering.

80% of the U.S. demand for wheat gluten is fulfilled from Europe and Asia due to limited supplies in the U.S., where the remaining 20% is sourced. If the contamination was intentional (and slipped through the cracks at FDA,) what other food products might have also gotten by the FDA inspectors? This is some pretty scary stuff people. Think about it.