Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Warning! Cocoa Bean Shell Mulch Toxic to Dogs


The A.S.P.C.A. has determined that dogs consuming cocoa bean shell mulch are exhibiting signs similar to those seen with chocolate intoxication. These signs include increased heart rate, trembling, vomiting, panting, and muscle tremors. The A.S.P.C.A. recommends that fertilizers and mulch be checked for cocoa been ingredients and that these products not be placed with dogs. Cocoa been shells are a by-product of chocolate production and are commonly sold to landscapers and homeowners. If a dog ingests this product, contact a veterinarian or the A.S.P.C.A. Animal Poison Control Center at (888-426-4435).

Kathleen Stryeski, DVM

True information about the mulch can be found here - ASPCA This site gives the following information: Cocoa Mulch, which is sold by Home Depot, Foreman's Garden Supply and other Garden supply stores, contains a lethal ingredient called "Theobromine". It is lethal to dogs and cats. It smells like chocolate and it really attracts dogs. They will ingest this stuff and die. Several deaths already occurred in the last 2-3 weeks. Just a word of caution ---check what you are using in your gardens and be aware of what your gardeners are using in your gardens. Theobromine is the ingredient that is used to make all chocolate ,especially dark or baker's chocolate which is toxic to dogs. Cocoa bean shells contain potentially toxic quantities of theobromine, a xanthine compound similar in effects to caffeine and theophylline. A dog that ingested a lethal quantity of garden mulch made from cacao bean shells developed severe convulsions and died 17 hours later. Analysis of the stomach contents and the ingested cacao bean shells revealed the presence of lethal amounts of theobromine.

Please email the manufacturer at http://michellemessick@hersheys.com and request that accurate information about this product be posted on the packaging to avoid further tragedy.

No comments: